The Mission to Seafarers: Port of Thunder Bay

Port Tour
Updated: June 23, 2016

The Port of Thunder Bay was what began Port Arthur and Fort William, the founding communities of Thunder Bay. Commercial activity has been and continues to be the mainstay of the Port and a significant sector in the economy of Thunder Bay. Government activity regulates the various users of the Port. The Royal Canadian Navy is represented by the Naval Reserve Division HMCS GRIFFON.  Recreational users derive a lot of benefit from the Port. What follows is a description of the Port and various maritime groups that are part of the Thunder Bay maritime community.

Thunder Bay Port Authority

The Port of Thunder Bay is 8th on the total tonnage list of annual shipments for all Canadian Port Authorities. In 2016 the Port counted 8 operating grain elevators and a malt house which directly employed more than 400 operating and management personnel supported by a further 105 persons engaged in inspection, sampling and weighing. The 2nd and 3rd largest commodity movements through the port are coal and potash. Other cargoes are salt, steel, aggregates, petroleum and liquid chemical products, and forest products (mainly wood pulp). The Port offers a full range of vessel services.

 

Under the provisions of the Canada Marine Act, the Thunder Bay Port Authority is responsible for the operation of the Port including ice breaking, maintenance of aids to navigation and the breakwater, and dredging. It operates Keefer Intermodal, which includes a warehouse facility and railway marshalling yards, and administers Harbour Park subdivision.  

 www.portofthunderbay.com

HMCS GRIFFON

HMCS GRIFFON is a Naval Reserve Division (unit) in the Royal Canadian Navy. GRIFFON’s purpose is to recruit and train people to augment the Navy, serving aboard Maritime Coastal Defense Vessels (MCVD) and Frigates. Sailors train one night a week and go away for summer training and work. Once people are qualified they can obtain short-term contracts for employment. GRIFFON is located at 125 Algoma St. N. Contact GRIFFON at (807) 343-5200. 

GRIFFON's Boat Shed and the Lake Superior Sail Centre Boat shed are located on the waterfront north of the marina.

Shown in the picture is a RHIB. The Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boat is used by both the regular force and reserve force navies. It's primary function is to transport armed boarding teams to vessels of interest and for harbour defense. It's two pontoons provide unsurpassed stability and the rigid hull allows for maximum speed. It is 24 feet in length and weighs over 2 tonnes. It can carry 18 persons plus a crew of 2. It's top speed is around 45 knots and is an extremely stable and maneuverable boat. It is powered by a 6 cylinder turbo charged diesel engine with a range of approximately 100 nautical miles.

www.navres.dnd.ca

The Naval Officers’ Association of Canada

The Naval Officers’ Association of Canada (NOAC) has existed in various forms since 1919, providing a rallying point for continued social interaction of Naval veterans and as a means of providing coordinated advice to the Navy of the day. In light of the many changes that have taken place with regards the Navy over the years, the organization has continued to change as well, and membership is now extended to all ranks and to those who may not have seen Naval service but have a strong interest in the Royal Canadian Navy. The three pillars which form the mission of the NOAC are; public education, maritime heritage and camaraderie.

Public education involves helping educate the Canadian public on their Navy and what it needs to continue to contribute to Canada’s security at home and around the world.

 

Maritime heritage involves working with the fifty-plus maritime museums across the country to bring Canada’s remarkable maritime history to light, while also contributing to its preservation.

Camaraderie involves ensuring that all members enjoy the comradeship derived from a shared interest in service to Canada and an affinity for the sea, as well as supporting less fortunate members and their families.

The Thunder Bay Branch meets regularly to discuss issues related to the three pillars of the mission and to provide venues for social interaction.

For further information please contact the NOAC Thunder Bay Branch President Anne Zuliani, Capt(N) (ret’d) at anne1.zuliani@gmail.com.

www.navalassoc.ca

The Thunder Bay Naval Association

The Thunder Bay Naval Association is a branch of the Royal Canadian Naval Association (RCNA). The Branch unites the members in the bond of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding and encourage among the membership those ideals and qualities of resolution which prevailed in the Naval Service. Meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month onboard HMCS Griffon, in the Upper Deck Mess located in Building 2.

For further information please contact the RCNA of Thunder Bay, President Tal Morgan at morgangt@shaw.ca.

The ANCHORAGE

Located at the north end of the Marina, the Anchorage was dedicated June 1, 1997 as a place to meditate and enjoy. 

The ANCHORAGE is a memorial to the navy and merchant navy ships and sailors who perished in the Second World War; see The Commemoration of the Battle of the Atlantic. It  is dedicated to the men and women of the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN), Royal Canadian Navy Reserve (RCN(R)),  Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve (RCNVR), Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS), and the Merchant Navy (MN), who volunteered and served with honour and distinction for freedom and country.

Erected jointly by the NOAC Thunder Bay Branch, the Thunder Bay Naval Association, RCNA, and with the help of many friends who care and  remember.

Canadian Coast Guard

The Coast Guard delivers the following programs:

  • Icebreaking

  • Boating Safety

  • Search & Rescue

  • Aids to Navigation

  • Navigable Waters Protection

  • Environmental Protection & Response

The Base at Keefer Intermodal houses the maintenance center and the CCGS CAPE CHALLION crew quarters. 

The lifeboat, CCGS CAPE CHALLION built in 2003, has a crew of four, twin diesels and a speed of 26 knots. 

www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca

Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is members who use their privately owned vessels in a volunteer capacity. The Auxiliary supplements the full-time Coast Guard, doing boating safety education, and providing search and rescue coverage, which is particularly important in areas where a Coast Guard Life Boat such as the CAPE CHALLION is not stationed.  

Rick Oldale is the Director of District 7 of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, which covers Thunder Bay and the north shore of Lake Superior. Vessels in District 7 include: Loon Magic, Melissa, Marion G., Irish Mist, Morning Star, Omiga II, Bounty Hunter and Sea Scape.

www.ccga-ca.com

Ontario Provincial Police – Thunder Bay Detachment North West Region

WATERWAYS POLICING

 

Introduction

The Police Services Act (PSA) sets out the general responsibilities of the OPP in respect to jurisdiction, enforcement of federal and provincial laws, traffic patrol and assistance to municipalities. In addition to, or in meeting such general responsibilities, certain specific functions performed by the OPP are discussed in the following policy.

Enforcement

The function of navigable waterways law enforcement must be distinguished from that of search and rescue, and enforcement includes the enforcement of laws regulating the operation of and required equipment on vessels.

 

Navigable waterways

Navigable waterways within and bordering on the Province may be classified into three general categories:

waterway within the Province, some of which may be connected to a bordering waterways system such as the Great Lakes system;

waterway bordering on the Province, e.g. James Bay; and

river or canal system within or bordering on the Province and specifically designated as under federal jurisdiction, e.g. the Ottawa River–Trent-Severn waterways system.

As part of this responsibility, the OPP enforces all federal and provincial legislation including the: 

boating operations sections of the Criminal Code; and 

• Canada Shipping Act and Regulations

Communications Equipment

An OPP vessel shall, whenever practicable, and as local conditions require, be equipped with such communications equipment necessary to contact other vessels equipped with marine band radios. 

 

Screening Device

Whenever practicable, OPP vessels shall be equipped with an approved screening device as defined in the Criminal Code and its regulations.

 

Stopping Marine Violator

When a member finds it necessary to stop a vessel, they shall make the necessary maneuvers with the utmost regard for the safety of all concerned.

www.opp.ca

Thunder Bay Fire & Rescue Service

The Thunder Bay Fire & Rescue Service provides citizens with a highly trained emergency service capable of handling various emergency situations ranging from fire suppression, extrication, hazardous materials, vehicle and industrial accidents, medical assistance, defibrillation, high & low angle rescue, confined space rescue and ice and water rescue. Thunder Bay Fire & Rescue Service also conducts ongoing Fire Code Enforcement and fire cause investigations and is committed to delivering fire & life safety education, juvenile fire setter intervention and programming for youth, seniors and our community partners.

www.thunderbay.ca/Living/City_Services_and_Info/Guide_to_City_Services/Fire.htm

Lakehead Tugboats Inc.

Lakehead Tugboats is locally owned and operated by Paul Lecuyer. It operates the tugs: George N. Carleton, Robert John, and Teclutsa.

www.lakeheadtugs.com

Thunder Bay Tug Services Ltd

Family owned and operated for over 50 years by the Dawson family. The company began as Thunder Bay Marine Services Limited in 1959, by Elliott and Wealthy Dawson. They operated a “bum boat”, or floating store, selling dry goods to vessels at anchor. Son, Gerry purchased it in 1983. Thunder Bay Tug Services was established in 1989 with a leased tug, but then purchased the tug Point Valour in 1993, which towed the James Whalen from Quebec to Thunder Bay. The tug Glenada from Sarnia, was added in 1995 to help with the increase in “ship assist” work in Thunder Bay. The tug Miseford was purchased in Port Maitland and sailed here in September 2004. Robert W. and Rosalee D. are also vessels of Thunder Bay Tug Services.

Thunder Bay Tug Services Ltd. is locally owned and operated by Captain Gerry Dawson. It’s primary business is “ship assist” work in the Thunder Bay Harbour, and the Glenada has also towed barges to Isle Royale.

The Tug Glenada and crew rescued two men from the propellorless Grampa Woo, off Thunder Cape in 15 foot waves in October 1996. Captain Gerry Dawson, engineer John Olson and deckhand Jim Harding were awarded Medals of Bravery by the Governor General in Ottawa in 1997 for this rescue.

www.thunderbaytugservices.ca

Commercial Fishers

Commercial fishing was one of the first activities in the port. It was strong prior to the coming of the sea lamprey with the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1960.

Ten commercial fishing vessels fish Whitefish, Lake Trout and Herring from Thunder Bay to Hurkett. The fish are sold to Presteve Fisheries of Sault Ste. Marie and Kemp Fisheries of Duluth, which export the fish around the world. In Thunder Bay the commercial fishing vessels dock at the mouth of Current River. Some of these vessels are also in the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Prince Arthur's Landing Marina

Situated in beautiful Marina Park on the shores of Lake Superior, the Marina can be accessed off Water Street in the north core of the City. The Marina is open May 15 through October 15 annually and offers 271 slips for City residents and visitors. Also available are water moorings and dry land storage facilities. Services include washrooms, laundry and shower facilities, pumpouts and fuel (gasoline and diesel). Attendants are on duty 9 am to 9 pm all season.

On-site security is available from 9 pm to 9 am. Boat launch ramps are available for use by the public on a user fee basis.

Marina Office (Seasonal)

Tel: (807) 345-2741
Off season please contact Parks Division at (807) 625-2313.

Pool 6 Cruise Ship Facility

The Pool 6 Cruise Ship Facility opened in July 2009 and it is operated by the City of Thunder Bay. It is located south of the Prince Arthur's Landing Marina and is the site of the former Saskatchewan Pool 6 elevator. Clelia II is pictured here in July 2009.

Kaministiqua River Park

The Park celebrates the heritage of the river that Fort William was built up on. Fort William was originally located in what is now called the East End and a memorial cairn on McNaughton St. marks the location. Small lake vessels berthed along the river near Simpson St. The warehouses on Simpson Street bear witness to the past shipping activity of the region. The opening of Keefer Terminal in 1960 meant the closing of these wharfs beside Simpson St..

The James Whalen was built in 1905 as an ice breaking tug and worked in Thunder Bay Harbour until its retirement. She is now berthed permanently at the Kaministiqua River Park.

Sailors' Memorial Park

The Sailors' Memorial Park at the Kaministiqua River Park helps us to remember local merchant sailors lost in the Battle of the Atlantic in World War 2. The memorial was originally located on the N. M. Paterson & Sons property off James St. by the Kaministiqua River swing bridge. 

N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd was a Thunder Bay shipping company. Norman McLeod Paterson purchased his first grain elevator in Fort William in 1912. His company grew to include elevators in Thunder Bay and the prairies and a marine division. The marine division closed in 2005. During World War 2, twenty of Paterson's canellers, small ships that could transit the locks at Montreal, transported war materials. Their routes were the bauxite shuttle from the Caribbean, along the Eastern seaboard as far north as Greenland and the convoys to England. The ships lost were:

  • Kenordoc Shelled by German submarine, U-48, and sunk 15 September 1940; seven men were lost.

  • Portadoc Torpedoed by U-124, 7 April 1941; one man lost.

  • Collinddoc Sunk by a mine, 13 July 1941.

  • Mondoc Hit submerged object, sank 5 Oct 1941.

  • Sarniadoc Torpedoed by U-161 15 March 1942; all hands were lost.

  • Torondoc Torpedoed by U-69, 20 May 1942; all hands were lost.

  • Troisdoc Torpedoed by U-558, 21 May 1942; entire crew survived.

  • Prescodoc Torpedoed by U-160 29 July 1942; there were 5 survivors.

  • Hamildoc Foundered in heavy seas, 1 January 1943; all survived.

  • Soreldoc Torpedoed by U-1302, 28 February 1945; 15 lives were lost and there were 21 survivors.

Taken from The Ships of the Paterson Fleet by Gene Onchulenko and Skip Gillham, 1996 Riverbank Traders

Thunder Bay Rowing Club

The Rowing Club is located on the Kaministiqua River south west of the park. 

www.thunderbayrowingclub.com

Lakehead Power and Sail Squadron

The Lakehead Power and Sail Squadron is a squadron of the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. As a
voluntary organization, it offers offering courses for recreational boaters.

Classes start in January or courses may be taken on a self study basis any time. To register, go to www.boatingcourses.ca.

Boating Basics is done on-line and it grants the Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC). It is required for anyone operating a recreational vessel.

* offered in the winter of 2018 at Superior CVI.

Boating 1 - Boating Basics

Introduction to Weather for Recreational Boaters*

Boating 2 - Beyond Boating Basics*

Global Weather

Boating 3 - Introduction to Marine Navigation*

Sailing

Boating 4 - Near Shore Marine Navigation Level 1 (Seamanship)*

Extended Cruising

Boating 5 - Near Shore Marine Navigation Level 2 (Advanced Piloting)

Boat and Engine Maintenance

Boating 6 – Off Shore Marine Navigation Level 1 (Junior Navigator)

Maritime Radio*

Boating 7 – Off Shore Marine Navigation Level 2 (Global Navigation)

 

www.boatingcourses.ca

Thunder Bay Yacht Club

The club was founded in August 1945 with the goal to further boating in the area. It offers members such privileges as:

  • Launch and Haul facilities complete with carry lift and crane and fenced winter storage  for added security on the Mission Island property;

  • Complete sail racing program with long distance and round-the-buoys races;

  • Anchorage Lounge and meeting room at the CN Station at both Prince Arthur's Landing, in Marina Park that members and the public can rent;

  • Year round social events;

  • Education and boating safety programs;

  • Youth sailing, learn to sail programs;

  • Active participants in tourism and land use planning on behalf of its members and the boating public at large; and

  • Regular news letters.

The New Crew Program

Each year the Thunder Bay Yacht Club offers four days of instruction in basic sailing and an introduction to sailboat racing. The New Crew Program takes place in early June. It consists of three hours of in-class instruction followed by on the water sailing experience on keel boats owned by members of the Thunder Bay Yacht Club. The philosophy of the program is based on the conviction that the best way to learn to sail is to crew on a racing sailboat even if your long term objectives in sailing do not include racing. If you join a crew, you will gain considerable experience learning from experienced skippers and fellow crew members. The objective of the course is to make participants comfortable and contributing members of a racing crew.

Anyone interested in learning to sail is invited to contact Bill Dunlop at 768-5885. 

www.tbyc.on.ca

Lake Superior Sail Centre - Sea Cadets

The Lake Superior Sail Centre runs sail training programs for local Sea Cadet Corps: RCSCC Vindictive (Thunder Bay North); RCSCC Fort William (Thunder Bay South); and RCSCC Onondaga (Nipigon). The Sail Centre is co-located with HMCS GRIFFON's boatshed on the Thunder Bay Harbour, just north of Marina Park. The Royal Canadian Sea Cadet programme is for young men and women ages 12 to 18. The Canadian Armed Forces in partnership with the Navy League of Canada run the programme.

www.cadets.ca

Temple Reef Sailing Club

Temple Reef sailing Club is a not for profit volunteer run boating club located in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada.  Our primary focus is to promote one-design sailboat racing.

templereefsailing.com

Sail Thunder Bay 

Sail Thunder Bay offers learn to sail programs for children and adults at the beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. NEW CANSail Programs and Race Coaching are taught by our knowledgeable and well trained certified Sail Canada Instructors.

Sail Thunder Bay is a non-profit sailing school operated by a group of devoted sailors and volunteers from the Temple Reef Sailing Club.

We are located at the end of Pier One in Thunder Bay Marina Park and are open from June to September for all local sail instruction.

www.sailthunderbay.com

Fort William Historical Park

Fort William Historical Park is a provincially-funded historic site operated by the Ontario Ministry of Tourism.  Through its living history program, the Fort depicts the fur trade activities of the North West Company at Fort William Historical Park, inland headquarters and site of the Company's annual Rendezvous from 1803 - 1821. It has been rebuilt on its present location, further upstream from its original location. 

Shown here is the monument on McNaughton St., in Fort William's East End commemorating the original site for Fort William. Beyond the railway cars is the Kaministiqua River. 

www.fwhp.ca

Neebing Voyageur Brigade

The Neebing Voyageur Brigade is an historic re-enactment group dedicated to the preservation of fur trade history. Over the last 30 years, hundreds of young people have learned and gained an appreciation for our voyageur heritage and life styles through their participation with the Neebing Brigade.

Mission to Seafarers: Port of Thunder Bay Home Page